This recipe makes 72 dumplings
Ingredients for dough:
Ingredients for filling:
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
6 big mushrooms
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp soy sauce
Direction for filling:
- Put the oil and diced onion in a medium heat pan and cook until golden. Add diced garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Dice mushroom and carrot very fine and add to the pan. Stir occasionally and lower heat a little.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika to the frying vegetables and stir.
- Place the Butare in a bowl of water for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain the Butare and dice very fine to match the mushroom and carrot. Add diced Butare to the pan.
- In a small pot heat ½ cup of water until boiling then lower heat. Add soy sauce and stir. Sift in flour slowly. Use a whisk and mix as you add the flour so bubbles do not form. You should have a thick brown sauce. Mix this sauce in with the fried vegetable mixture.
- Let the filling cool.
Directions for dough:
- Combine flour and water in a large bowl. Mix together with a rubber spatula. Mix until the sides lift away from the bowl. Add more flour if necessary. Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a large bowl and cover tightly with a wet cloth. Cover the bowl with another cloth or a large plate. Let the dough rest for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead for 5 minutes. The dough should be very smooth now. Return to the bowl and cover again for 30 minutes.
- Use this time to make your dumpling fillings. See direction.
- Take ⅙ of the dough and roll out the dough into a long tube roughly 2cm in diameter. Cut the dough into 12 sections. Lightly flour and flatten each piece with your palm.
- Use a small rolling pin to roll out each piece until they are 7cm circles. Take the flat dough in your palm and spoon in a tablespoon of filling. Pinch the dough together in the center. On the right side of the dumpling pinch together the dough off center and pull the dough across pinching it together until you reach the middle. Repeat this on the opposite side.
- Once all dumplings are filled heat a large pan to medium-high heat and pour in 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the dumplings in the pan and add ¼ cup water and place a lid over the pan.
- Let the dumplings steam until the water is all gone from the pan. Check if the dumplings are golden on the bottom, if not cook until golden and remove from pan.
- Serve with soy or sweet chili sauce.