Naan Bread with Sukkertare
This recipe makes 15 portions
1 cup tempered water
25g fresh yeast
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp sukkertare salt
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp milk
4 ½ cups plain flour
1 tbsp oil
Butter for frying
- Place fresh yeast in tempered water and mix well until the liquid is a creamy color. Leave the yeast to activate for 10 minutes
- Add sugar, salt, milk and the deafen egg to the yeast mixture. Stir in flour until the mixture lifts away from the bowl.
- Take the dough from the bowl to a floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Pour oil into a large bowl to cover the bottom and edges. Place the dough in the well oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough. Pinch off a handful of dough and roll into a ball. Place the small ball on a lined tray or large plate. Repeat this with all the dough and place them 4-5 cm apart. Cover the tray or plate with a towel and leave for an extra 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan and grease with butter. Take one small dough and roll out until 1/2cm thick. Place the dough in the pan to cook. Flip when air pockets appear in the dough. Remove the naan from the pan when both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat with all the dough.
- Serve with our Dahl recipe or your favorite curry or soup.