Dahl (Lentil Curry) with Butare
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 cups grated carrot
2 tsp curry
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
1 ½ cups dried red lentils
1 can coconut milk
500ml vegetable stock
- Heat a large pot and add the oil. Dice the onion and add to the pot once the oil is heated. Stir occasionally until the onions are golden. Dice garlic and add to the pot. Lower heat to medium.
- Peel and dice carrots very fine. Peel and grate the ginger. Add both the carrots and ginger to the pot and stir together. Allow the mixture to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Take the dried butare and place in a bowl of water for 5 minutes to rehydrate. Drain the butare from the water and cut with a sharp knife so the are no pieces larger than 1 cm. Add the butare to the pot and stir through.
- Add curry, cumin and turmeric to the pot and mix through. Cook for 5 more minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk and broth and bring heat down to low-medium. Place a lid on the pot and stir periodically every 5-10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes or so the lentils should have softened and soaked up a lot of liquid. Once the lentils feel soft to chew, season the dahl with salt and pepper.
- Serve this dish with your choice of rice, salad or bread. You can also try our sukkertare naan bread to accompany this dish.